Friday, May 2, 2008

Practice Run






OK so I start my bike trip on Sunday. Saturday I am headed over to Virginia to touch the Atlantic coast so this can truly be a cross country trip. Thursday I took my first full length practice run through central Kentucky and I feel pretty good about it. I rode 70.5 miles in 5 hours and 30 minutes, my average speed was 12.6 mph and my top speed was 38 mph. A few things I learned on my practice run were that 1) head wind sucks, or blows depending on your philosophy or world view. It can and does half your speed on a bike. I was peddling 9 mph down hill. 2) it really does help to stop and eat every 30-45 minutes. This does a few things, it keeps you from getting hungry, and it keeps you rested and allows your body to refuel.

I will have a lot more to say after I actually start my trip. Here are some pics of my ride in KY.

No comments: