Sunday, May 18, 2008

Day 6



Day 6
I woke up and believe it or not I really didn’t want to go anywhere. I wanted to just lay there in my sleeping bag listening to the calm river flow by, but I had a long ways to go on day six so I needed to pick up and move out. I ate a quick cold breakfast and packed up camp before moving out. I was in Lexington VA headed to Christiansburg VA. This, if I made the full trip today would not only put me in a Mennonite Your Way home, but be the end of my first map, a mile stone in my cross country bike trip. Both of those things were enough to motivate me to move out with a little speed under my tail, even though my legs burned from the tough ride the day before.
It was a long day, about 90 miles over all. I stopped in Buchanan VA to use the internet and was informed that I was crazy for thinking that I was going to make it all the way to Christiansburg by nightfall. The librarian meant well, but she wasn’t helping. Actually she probably helped more than I am giving her credit. Had she said I could make it I probably wouldn’t have peddled so hard.
The day was beautiful, a few clouds and a nice slight breeze. It was very hilly most of the way. I even took a shortcut in order to speed up my time. It worked. I eventually came to a little store in the country and tiered as I was I stopped to fill my water bottles and ask how far I had to go. The woman told me I had 17 miles to go. 33 miles later I reached Christiansburg. I don’t understand how you can be off almost half the distance like that. I guess I would understand if it was a half a mile or if she was five miles off at 33 miles, but as I see things, that was like saying, “Oh, its about 17 miles--give or take--17.” At this point I decided to quit asking people who drove cars for information about distance or terrain. I just didn’t want to be so misled any more.
I finally made it to Christiansburg and called the family I was going to stay with for the night. The daughter Kaitlin answered the phone and gave me directions to their house. Before she hung up the phone she said, “boy, you have some hills to climb.” Yet another affirming word of encouragement. I made the four or five miles out to the home of Conrad and Janie Heatwole and was kindly welcomed by all the members of the family that were home (Kaitlin, Kendra, and a son in law Absalom).
My host family for the night was simply amazing. Kaitlin drove me to the store to get more food for the next day and Janie gave me a cell phone to call all of my family and friends. They also provided internet for me to continue to schedule homes for me to stay in and check the weather. Then after all of that they invited me to play Settlers with the family until way later than I have been staying up on my trip. I must say by the end of it I felt like I was going to fall over. I was so tiered. I eventually limped off to bead. But I didn’t want to. It felt so good to be part of a community, even if it wasn’t mine. To be accepted into a home and treated like some one who belongs there is an amazing and powerful thing when you are alone. I must say, the next day when it came time to leave I didn’t want to go. But the road was calling and I never did do well sitting in one place to long.

1 comment:

daenielle said...

Thank God for the Mennonite directory eh?...and for going to GC?