Saturday, May 17, 2008

Day 3



I slept in on Day 3. I was really tiered and I didn’t want to get out of bead, or my tent as the case was. I also only had 50 miles to go that day so it was no big deal. I woke up and packed up all my stuff before heading over to Buddy and Edna’s place for breakfast. It was really nice to have a place to eat breakfast and relax before starting my trip on my Second day of riding. Basically it’s the same idea I talked about in the previous post, that is, any act of kindness no matter how big or small is greatly appreciated. Some one opening up their home or trailer for you to eat breakfast with them and talk to you is a gesture that is not quickly forgotten on a trip like this.
Most of my life, starting when I was young I was taught not to trust strangers. As a small child that is really not a bad thing for parents to teach you. But I am learning more and more that the trusting of total strangers, really putting your life and well-being in their hands is something not only special, but amazing and life changing. Because of SST and this trip I am really learning to trust people, and in trusting them I believe I make them trust worthy. You see if you think of someone as untrustworthy they are much more likely to be untrustworthy in order to fulfill that reputation, however if you think of some one as trustworthy, they are more likely to be trustworthy. I think that believing in people makes them rise to the occasion and be worth believing in. I know that’s the case for me. If you are counting on me I will be there for you, if you think I will steal from you, I will. Its very much the way people work. At least in my experience.
So I set off riding at a nice lazy pace. It really was nice to not be in a rush. On my way into the city I came up to a building with a sine on the top that said Grocery Store and a big gravel parking lot with cars in it. So I decided to stop and take a break, eat some lunch and relax for a few moments. As soon as I was off my bike this man came running up to me asking me if I new that I was on private property. I must confess I didn’t know it was somewhere I shouldn’t be. As it turned out, the building was the man’s house, he just never bothered to take the sine down from the old store he turned into his home. I explained myself and he said it was fine and that I could stay if I wanted to for my break. Then he proceeded to tell me that I couldn’t be to careful and how I shouldn’t trust anyone. In many ways its good sound advice, but I would rather live a shorter life trusting people than a long drawn-out life locked in a cave. So I go on trusting people.
I rode into Richmond and found that riding through Richmond at 7:00 AM is much different than riding through Richmond at 2:30 PM. The streets were crowded and people were in a hurry. It made for unpleasant riding. I finally found the library which was the Virginia State Library, a very nice one. I checked my email and called my host family for the night to get directions to their home before heading off to meet them.
The way to their house was rough to ride, it was a four lain divided highway, my first, but not my last. I finally arrived and met Bob and Margaret and was warmly welcomed into their home. It was my second night and I had a warm bead to sleep in. it was a nice way to finish up the third day of my trip. I got to call home and sleep in a nice warm bead.
For day three I rode 54.7 miles at 12.8 mph. I rode for 4:16 and my top speed was 29.8 miles. It was a nice relaxing day.

No comments: